BIP America News & Media Platform

collapse
Home / Daily News Analysis / Live Updates: Trump says "Clock is Ticking" for Iran as shaky ceasefire continues

Live Updates: Trump says "Clock is Ticking" for Iran as shaky ceasefire continues

May 18, 2026  Twila Rosenbaum  7 views
Live Updates: Trump says "Clock is Ticking" for Iran as shaky ceasefire continues

Trump Warns Iran as Ceasefire Hangs by a Thread

President Trump has issued another stark warning to Iran, stating that "the Clock is Ticking" and urging Iranian leaders to act quickly or face complete annihilation. In a post on Truth Social, the President wrote: "For Iran, the Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won't be anything left of them. TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE!" The message was also shared by the official White House account on X, amplifying the threat to Tehran. This comes as the fragile ceasefire between the United States and Iran, which has been in place for several weeks, continues to be tested by daily skirmishes and mutual accusations of violations.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi responded by reiterating that Tehran "cannot trust the Americans at all." Speaking at a BRICS summit in New Delhi, Araghchi described the ceasefire as "very shaky" but said Iran is "trying to maintain it to give diplomacy a chance." He cited the lack of trust as "the main obstacle to any diplomatic effort," noting that every day brings conflicting messages from the U.S., which deepens mistrust. Despite these tensions, both sides have engaged in ongoing yet fruitless negotiations, with the U.S. demanding Iran fully dismantle its nuclear program and open the Strait of Hormuz, while Iran insists on the lifting of all sanctions and the end of the blockade.

Israel-Hezbollah Conflict Continues Despite Ceasefire Extension

On the Lebanese front, the situation remains volatile. Israel has launched over 100 strikes on Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon since Friday, despite the two countries agreeing to extend their ceasefire by 45 days after talks in Washington. The Israeli military stated that it targeted Hezbollah infrastructure sites, including observation posts and weapons storage facilities, in response to what it called Hezbollah's continued violations of the ceasefire. The Lebanese Health Ministry reported that Israeli strikes killed five people on Sunday, including two children, and wounded many others. Since the war began with Hezbollah in early March, the death toll in Lebanon has reached 2,969, with over 9,100 wounded.

Hezbollah lawmaker Hussein Hajj Hassan denounced the direct talks between Lebanon and Israel, calling them a "dead end" that will lead only to concessions. Hezbollah has continued to release videos of drone attacks on Israeli soldiers and vehicles in southern Lebanon, showing that the group is not backing down despite the ceasefire. The U.S.-brokered negotiations aim to establish a permanent security arrangement along the border, but Hezbollah's involvement is indirect, as the group is not part of the Lebanese government delegation. The talks are set to resume on security matters at the Pentagon in late May, followed by a political track in early June.

Strait of Hormuz: A Central Sticking Point

The battle for control of the Strait of Hormuz remains a key issue in the conflict. President Trump declared that the U.S. is in control of the strait, saying "we control it," and added that the U.S. has "wiped out their armed forces, essentially." The U.S. Central Command reported that as of May 16, 78 commercial ships had been turned back by the U.S. blockade, including three in the previous 24 hours. The blockade has been enforced since April 13, effectively stopping all ships carrying Iranian oil or goods from entering or leaving Iranian ports. Iranian officials have stated that they have prepared a plan to "manage traffic" along a designated route in the strait, charging fees only to countries that are cooperating with them, and barring vessels associated with the U.S.-led "Project Freedom."

The disruptions have caused a global spike in oil prices, affecting economies worldwide. India, a major oil importer, was forced to hike gas and diesel prices. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, during a visit to the UAE, called for an "open and safe" Strait of Hormuz, emphasizing that adherence to international laws is essential. China, the largest buyer of Iranian oil, has also been affected. President Trump said after his summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping that Xi offered to help reopen the strait, though Trump insisted that the U.S. does not need help. The U.S. president also revealed that Xi stated China would not supply military equipment to Iran, a significant statement given China's previous role as a major supplier of Iranian weaponry.

Human Rights Crisis: Executions Surge in Iran

Amnesty International released a report on Monday revealing a staggering increase in executions in Iran, which pushed the global recorded execution count to its highest level since 1981. The rights group confirmed at least 2,707 executions worldwide in 2025, of which 2,159 were in Iran—more than double the previous year's figure. Amnesty said the increase in Iran was driven by authorities using the death penalty as a tool of political repression, especially after the June 2025 war with Israel. Protests in early 2026 were met with harsh crackdowns, and many of those executed were charged with links to the protests or membership in banned groups. The report also noted that thousands of executions in China were not included due to state secrecy over data.

The international community has condemned Iran's use of capital punishment, but Tehran has shown no signs of slowing down. Iranian authorities have executed individuals convicted of drug offenses, espionage, and participation in protests, often after trials that human rights groups describe as unfair. The situation has raised alarms about the overall human rights situation in Iran, which has come under scrutiny as the war continues.

Other Developments: World Cup, Military Movements, and Regional Tensions

Amid the conflict, Iran's men's soccer team is making preparations for the 2026 World Cup. The team will travel to Turkey for a training camp and to complete visa applications before heading to the United States to play their group matches. FIFA officials have expressed confidence that Iran will participate, despite the war. The team is scheduled to play in Los Angeles and Seattle, and will be based in Tucson, Arizona.

In military news, the USS Gerald R. Ford aircraft carrier returned to Norfolk, Virginia, after an 11-month deployment that included operations in the Caribbean for the capture of former Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and later participation in the opening days of the Iran war. The Ford set a post-Vietnam record for longest deployment, at 326 days at sea.

On the security front, the U.S. Department of Justice announced the arrest of an Iraqi national who allegedly plotted to carry out terror attacks at a Jewish institution in New York, with ties to Iranian-backed groups. Additionally, a drone strike targeted the UAE's Barakah nuclear power plant, causing a fire but no radiological release. Suspicion fell on Iran, which has been threatening the UAE for hosting Israeli missile defenses. The UAE rejected Iranian accusations and called for regional cooperation.

Finally, former Defense Secretary Robert Gates stated that the U.S. cannot simply "walk away" from the Iran war, noting that while the nuclear program has been crippled, a complete resolution requires negotiation. He also expressed doubt that an uprising inside Iran is likely in the near future due to the regime's tight internal controls.


Source: Cbsnews News


Share:

Your experience on this site will be improved by allowing cookies Cookie Policy